GMDSS Manual 2019 Edition
The GMDSS Manual provides, in a single comprehensive publication, an explanation of the principles upon which the GMDSS is based, the radio communication requirements and recommendations for its implementation,
the operational performance standards and technical specifications to be met by GMDSS equipment, and the procedures for and method of operation of the various radio services which form the GMDSS and the Master Plan for the GMDSS.
The 2019 edition includes:
• A description of the development and the concepts of the GMDSS
• A description of the components of the GMDSS, the carriage requirements and the operational procedures
• Excerpts from the relevant SOLAS regulations for the GMDSS
• Supporting resolutions and circulars relevant to the GMDSS
• The IMO performance standards and related ITU-R Recommendations, including technical details of the radio equipment
• Information on promulgation of maritime safety information (MSI) and the World-Wide Navigational Warning Service
• The NAVTEX Manual (2017)
• The International SafetyNET Manual (2017) and related amendments
• Interim guidance on technical requirements for Inmarsat Fleet Safety service
• Interim Iridium SafetyCast service manual
• The current GMDSS Master Plan giving the details of the coastal infrastructure and services provided by Member States
• Extracts from the ITU-R Radio Regulations giving the radio regulatory background. The Manual is intended for use by ship personnel, shore operators, trainers, administrations, regulators and anyone else concerned with ship communication
Guidelines on Fatigue 2019 Edition
Fatigue is a hazard because it may affect a seafarer’s ability to do their job effectively and safely. Importantly, fatigue affects everyone regardless of skill, knowledge and training. These Guidelines were developed to inform each party that has a direct involvement in ship safety (seafarers, Administrations, ship designers, companies, training providers, etc.) of the nature of fatigue, its causes, preventive measures and countermeasures.
Approved by the Maritime Safety Committee of the International Maritime Organization (IMO), the Guidelines in this publication are composed of selfcontained modules addressing the issue of fatigue from different angles: the company, the seafarer, awareness and training, ship design, and the Administration and port State authorities. It also includes examples of sleep and fatigue monitoring tools and of fatigue event report information.
To enquire further about either of these publications please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01542 841245.